Use a virtual whiteboard to supercharge remote teamwork [2021 Guide]
What is a virtual whiteboard?
A virtual whiteboard is a blank digital space where multiple people can write, share and interact with each other in real-time. The virtual whiteboard has become a key piece of technology in remote teams, ensuring they can still work together on tasks such as brainstorming, problem-solving and writing & designing creative projects.
- Brainstorming: No other tool is as useful for remote brainstorming and ideation as a virtual whiteboard. Brainstorming plays an extremely critical role in most stages of the Design Thinking process. Recently, the ability to conduct brainstorming sessions across the globe has become even more important.
- Problem solving: In the discovery phase, most teams struggle with transforming research insights into concrete frameworks. The visual nature of a virtual whiteboard comes in handy here.
- Visual projects: Perhaps the strongest application of a virtual whiteboard is to organize and centralize visual projects. Consolidate all your content, feedback and tasks in one central hub.
How do I use a virtual whiteboard?
All you need is an internet connection to open Conceptboard on any device- no downloads or extra tools necessary. Get started easily in 5 simple steps:
1) Simply sign up, create a blank board, and you may want to share a link with your teammates to join the board.
2) You may want to upload documents or images, brainstorm ideas on sticky notes, or use a ready-made template for a strategy session. The uses are endless.
3) Collaborate in real-time with teammates. You can identify anyone who joins by the board with personalized mouse cursors.
3) Once you’ve completed a board, simply share a link with anyone, or download your board as a PDF.
5) Access all your boards from anywhere and from any device thanks to auto-sync in the cloud.
Advantages of a virtual whiteboard
The virtual whiteboard has now surpassed the physical whiteboard as the go-to tool in companies thanks to its flexibility. As a business tool, we’ve previously looked at the best uses of a virtual whiteboard, so now let’s take a look at the main advantages of a virtual whiteboard over its physical predecessor.
- Save time and money: If you can get all your team members collaborating virtually, there’s no need to travel to a physical meeting. Therefore, saving you precious time and money, while also reducing your environmental impact.
- Break down hierarchy: By removing physical barriers, everyone can express themselves equally on a virtual whiteboard. Therefore, you can level the playing field between everyone in the meeting.
- Support introverts: Sometimes the quietest voices are the most insightful. Virtual whiteboards allow introverts to participate in discussions in a way that physical meetings don’t. Quieter voices won’t get drowned out by louder voices. Futhermore, they can equally contribute to the discussion by noting down their ideas. Switching moderators also ensures all team members get the chance to have their say.
- Transparency: Eliminate the need for expensive, cumbersome boards, blurry photographs, email attachments. Everything is instantly digitized for future reference with a virtual whiteboard. All participants can access the board down the track, or share a link with external parties to boost transparency.
- Remote teams essential tool: A virtual whiteboard is undoubtedly the best digital tool to get teams on the same page. Whether distributed, collocated or fully remote, all participants feel like they’re in the same room.
Choosing the best virtual whiteboard
There are numerous virtual whiteboards on the market ranging from very basic, to a complete virtual workspace. When it comes to selecting the right tool that suits your needs, these are the main points to consider:
Does it have an unlimited canvas? Look for a whiteboard that has an unlimited board size so you’ll never run out of space for your team projects. This is essential if you want to use the board to share designs, or as a project management tool with an indefinite end.
Does it offer real-time collaboration? If you’re going to be using a virtual whiteboard in a team setting, real-time collaboration is a must-have. This way you can engage in video chats, moderate boards, share screens and follow cursors without any lag. This keeps discussions moving forward and promotes a truly collaborative environment.
What other problems can it solve? In the age of app fatigue, look at what other services your whiteboard offers, so you can reduce the number of total apps needed. Does it allow you to upload various file types, share access securely, track progress, and chat within the board?
Does it have presentation mode? This will help with double handling, so look for a whiteboard that allows you to export and share boards with various access levels. That way, you can use your whiteboard as a presentation tool, and move away from PowerPoint.
Discover visual collaboration
Conceptboard offers a powerful virtual whiteboard
Conceptboard is a powerful cloud-based application that boasts all the above features plus a huge range of free business strategy templates. It also offers integrations with Microsoft Teams, Dropbox, Google Drive and more.
If you want to give Conceptboard’s virtual whiteboard a try, get started for free now.